Friday, May 20, 2005

Because I know you've been waiting for MY thoughts on the Sith...

As I've said before, reviews are pretty pointless when it comes to Star Wars. In the end, all that really matters is: Did I enjoy it? Would I see it again?

In the case of Revenge of the Sith, the answers are yes and yes.

I enjoyed it. Great action and a pretty satisfying resolution to stuff, all nitpicking aside. With so much jammed into this one, it just further illustrated how superfluous and irrelevant the first two prequals were. This movie had some truly AMAZING moments, some bad dialogue, and one horribly unexpected bad moment which was just terrible.

The volcano duel was amazing, and the sight of Yoda climbing onto Chewbacca made my geek heart skip a beat. A spectacular opening sequence, complete with some great R2-D2 heroics and slapstick comedy that (surprise!) was fun to watch! Also, Sith contained probably the greatest climax of any of the Star Wars movies. Which is pretty cool.

The dialogue provided some good unintentional humor at times and the ONLY scene I truly cursed was the awful Darth Vader-as-Frankenstein scene at the end. Had Lucas simply ended that scene with the mask being affixed and Vader breathing for the first time, 'twould have been near perfect. But the breaking of the chains and the cheesy howling almost ruined it for me. Which is funny, because I thought that the only thing you couldn't screw up in Star Wars was a scene with Darth Vader. But, as Obi Wan once said: "I was wrong." In the future, I'll just simply mentally edit that particular moment out...

But overall, great flick. Speaking as a Star Wars fanatic and as someone who does not own Episodes I or II on DVD or VHS, I say with all sincerity that I would gladly place Episode III alongside the original trilogy (non-remastered, natch!) in my video collection.