Thursday, August 17, 2006

"Rocky Five....Thousand"

Suddenly that lame joke in Space Balls is a little closer to coming true.

Noah mentioned the upcoming Rocky Balboa movie and while I commented on it there, I figure it's worth posting here, since I'm in the middle of writing scripts...and I clearly can't focus.

Rocky Balboa.

All I know is, it's only worth making if Rocky dies at the end.

Why make a movie about a geriatric Rocky if he doesn't go out in a toothless blaze of glory?

Also, it seems like they have a pretty boring "threat" for Rocky to face. Too bad this movie's opponent in no way looks as awesome as Apollo Creed. Or Mr. T. Definitely nowhere near as badass and insanely awesome as Drago. Rocky kind of needs a kickass nemesis to fight and it doesn't look like this guy's anything other than a young, hotshot punk boxer. Come on. Have you seen the other Rocky movies?! I'd rather see him fight Soda Popinski from Mike Tyson's Punchout than pretend there's a real challenge to Rocky from some young, unknown fake "champion" boxer. My suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

On a positive note:

I'm glad it's called Rocky Balboa. It would have been a mistake to call it Rocky VI. Because, as we all know, Rocky V does not exist. Never happened.

Rocky fought Drago and ended the Cold War and that's how the Rocky series ended.