Wednesday, August 02, 2006

More Mel-odrama

From Mel Gibson's latest apology:

The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God's child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.

I'm not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.

I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.


Lucky for Mel, I'm sure there will be plenty of sympathetic, charitable Jewish leaders who will take him up on his offer of help. And then he can go right back to making his cracks about Jews, but this time he can defend himself: "I can say that. I have a lot of Jewish friends, now!"

It's nice that Mel wants Jews to help him get over his bigotry - ahem, I mean, alcoholism. But I have to ask: If he believes so strongly in whatever it is that he believes, why can't his awesome religion help him through this, his darkest hour?