Thursday, January 12, 2006

Holy 40th Anniversary!

Happy 40th Anniversary, old chum.

It was 40 years ago today that the Batman TV show debuted. Over a decade later, a young Benari discovered the campy brilliance that was this show.

In the early 80s, my father once interviewed Adam West for his radio show. I must have been about 4 or 5 years old, maybe even younger. At the end of the interview, I had the distinct pleasure of hearing Adam West wish me well, reminding me:

"Remember to eat your vegetables, Benari!"

That was pretty cool.

The goddamn Batman.

To honor this milestone, McSweeney's analysis of the Batman theme song.

Forceful and at the same time plainly stated, we here are shown Batman in full, unvarnished truth. Full of aspiration, yet subject to the pitfalls of mortal life, Batman simply is.