Tuesday, July 11, 2006

culture shocked?

BEIJING, July 12 -- Italian defender Marco Materazzi has for the first time acknowledged that he "insulted" French player Zinedine Zidane because he was super arrogant in the World Cup final, La Gazzetta dello Sport reported.

"I held his shirt .. for only a few seconds, he turned toward me and scoffed at me, looking at me with super arrogance, up and down: 'if you really want my shirt, you can have it later.' (Zidane said) It's true, I shot back with an insult," Tuesday's paper quoted Materazzi as saying.

Asked whether he had insulted Zidane's sister or mother, Materazzi said, it was an "insult of the kind you will hear dozens of times and that just slips out on the ground."

"I certainly didn't call him a terrorist; I am ignorant, I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is. I certainly did not mention Zidane's mother; for me a mother is sacred.”

 (Source: Shenzhen Daily/Agencies)


For most people, the head-butt heard 'round the world was the decisive moment in France's loss to Italy. Whether Materazzi's provokation of Zidane deserved a head-butt or not...well, I've heard some excuses before, but I think Materazzi's defense has to be - by far - the most bizarre.

"I certainly didn't call him a terrorist; I am ignorant, I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is."


You don't kow what an Islamic terrorist is? Well, I assume someone had to have told you what one is so that you could explain to us that you don't know what one is.

Actually, I like this highly-detailed, dizzying logic.

"Speeding, officer? I could not have been speeding. I am ignorant. I don't even know what a 400-horsepower, aluminum V-8 engine-powered corvette is."

"Murder? Impossible! I don't even know what a double action .38 caliber revolver is!"

"I don't blog. I do not even know what the internets is. And I certainly didn't stalk anyone on MySpace. Definitely never heard of MySpace."