Thursday, June 16, 2005

Too much of a geek thing?

It's Thursday. Time for some geek talk.

So. The rather lamely-titled Batman Begins opened last night and being the dutiful geek that I am...well...I...hurm.

I haven't seen it yet. I want to see it. I will see it. It's just...

I dunno. There's no real sense of anticipation there for me. From all accounts so far, it looks to be a great movie. And with a rock solid cast and director, I should be chomping at the bit to see this film. It's just...

Ross might be right...I feel like I should be excited to see this movie; I'm just not. With the overabundance of geek movies currently on-hand - with no real end in sight - it's no longer a novelty to see my favorite 4-color, childhood heroes up on the big screen. It's almost become expected. And when I hear that Christopher Nolan has made a damn fine Batman movie, I no longer think: "GREAT! Now, maybe, comic book movies will get some respect!" I think: "Great. That's how it should be."

So, maybe we, as geeks, have gotten a little spoiled. And I say, it's about time. Before, we would rabidly shell out cold, hard cash just to see a studio's big budget super hero movie just because it was a super hero movie. It didn't matter if the story was good or if it was true to the spirit of our beloved heroes; the novelty was enough. But no more.

With the diversity of competing geek movies out there, the movies have to be good to get our attention now. We vote with our wallets. It's why Spider-Man's box office exploded while Elektra's fizzled. The bar has been raised higher, and we will not suffer through Elektra just because it has a Marvel logo on it and she slightly resembles Frank Miller's femme fatale. Come July, we'll see just how good the FF movie is ... but our loyalty is no longer guaranteed. Our love is not unconditional anymore. Our geek creds can't be bought off with pale immitations. We got our geek creds the old fashioned way. We earned them.

And geek movies need to earn our respect. Each and every time. That's how it should be.