Tuesday, June 21, 2005

1985 REDUX

Maybe you don't know what I'm talking about now, but believe me you will when it's over. You will when it's over.
- Apollo Creed, Rocky IV, 1985.

Waaaay back in January, I waxed poetic about how the state of our pop culture in 1985 could be used as a pretty good indicator of what 2005 will look like. And here's the weird part: it's kind of coming true. Right down to the box office slump!

From The Beat(Emphasis mine):

Hollywood's box office woes continued this weekend, when BATMAN BEGINS took in $46.9 mil—$10 million below expectations. (MR. & MS. SMITH took in $50.3 mil over its opening weekend, by contrast.)

It was the 18th straight week that box office take was lower than last year, a slide unduplicated since 1985.


Our pop culture also reflects the call once more to global activism, as giant, global-charity concerts have re-emerged, thanks to Bob Geldof and his current plans for "Live 8" - a sequel to his *ahem* 1985 landmark Live Aid concerts.

So, for those who may have missed it, I'm re-posting an excerpt of my Nostradamus-like musings. It's not too late for us to rise to the challenge, just like Bruce Leroy did 20 years ago. And when the Shogun of Harlem stares you down and scoffs, "Who's the master, Leroy?" you can calmy glare at him and reply, "I am. I'm the master." Bask in my brilliance:

I think we need look no further than 1985 to give us a pretty good indicator of what 2005 holds in store for us. Just take a look at the top grossing movies and you'll get a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. Hell, look at ALL the movies from 1985.

1985. The year that gave us The Breakfast Club, Real Genius, Fletch, and We Are the World.

1985. The year when
Marty McFly almost made out with his mom.

1985. The year when
a rag-tag band of kids uncovered the treasure of One-Eyed Willy, stopped the bad guys, and saved their town.

1985. The year when
John Rambo became our "worst nightmare" and Rocky Balboa avenges Apollo's death - while simultaneously defending America's freedoms - by taking on Ivan Drago. I don't need to tell you that Rocky's speech at the end ("...if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!") single-handedly ended the Cold War.

1985. The year when
Harrison Ford witnessed Kelly McGillis naked.

It's the 80s all over again and we've gotta get...Back to the Future! Take a good look at what 1985 gave us, and then think about what you can do to take back 2005. And then I'll ask you again. Who is the Master, Leroy?