Friday, May 25, 2007

STAR WARS is 30 years old today

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."


30 years ago today, STAR WARS hit the big screen.

I would argue that no other movie has had as great an impact on a culture.

To honor the event, I present to you my all-time favorite PSA, starring C-3PO and R2-D2. There is more pathos and character development in this 60 second Public Service Announcement than in the entirety of the prequels.

Fun tidbits:

Just what was C-3PO working on when he realizes R2 is missing?

In the very first Gottlieb & Oddsson sketch we ever wrote - one of our most famous thank gladys sketches - I stole the line "Gottlieb, you're on fire!" from this very PSA. Now it can be told!

I think the end of this ad is kind of poignant.

Also, I can't prove this, but I'm pretty sure this PSA is the reason why I never smoked cigarettes.





"R2, do you really think I don't have a heart?"